Evolution of cities has been a topic of interest for centuries. Such research include the study of spatial arrangement of activities in a city & how they influence the spatial character. Most widely studied theories, rules, city types are listed here.
- Central Place Theory by Walter Christaller (1933)
- Multiple Nuclei Model of 1945 by C.D. Harris and Edward L. Ullman
- Hoyt Model or Sector Model (1939) of Urban Land Use by Homer Hoyt
- Burgess model or concentric zone model (1925) by Ernest Burgess
- Galactic City Model
- Primate City & Primacy | Relationship between city sizes
- The Rank-Size Rule by George Zipf (1949)